Direct messages are private, one-on-one conversations between yourself and another user. These messages are only accessible and viewable to the two users participating in the exchange.
Starting a direct message using search
You can start a direct message conversation with another user by searching for them.
1. Click on the search icon in the left sidebar.
2. Type the name of the person with whom you want to send have a direct message conversation. A drop down list will appear with user name.
3. Click on the name of the user you wish to message. A new page will open in the application. You can then start a direct message!
Note: You can see the list of users with who you had direct message conversations in the left sidebar under Direct Messages.
Starting a direct message from a channel
If you are part of a public channel or private channel you can start a direct message with another user in the channel. This may be useful if you are in a channel and want to contact a user who just shared some information.
1. Select the channel from the left sidebar.
2. a) Click on the name name of the person you want to contact directly.
2. b) Click on the Members List icon in the top right corner of the screen.
The name of the user with whom you wish to connect from the members list. You can filter the list of members to search for "all users" or only those who are "online".
Click on the name of the user you want to message directly.
3. Click Conversation to start a direct message.
4. Use the dialogue box to start the direct message!