Some of the key reasons we are building this design system are that it:
- Allows for consistency across applications and platforms, particularly taking into consideration the rebuild of GCTools and other digital collaboration services;
- Creates partnership opportunities with interested communities, both within and outside the Government of Canada;
- Saves development and design time because components are reusable and effectively organized. These systems complement the agile development process by removing the need for multiple design and UI iterations;
- Has specifications for designing new features that are determined from the beginning, meaning more time can be spent on business and making complex decisions. Therefore less focus is needed on repetitive design problems throughout the process of new development.
- Enables staying current with external design and technology trends, especially with the rapid change in the industry.